The Commonwealth Composition Challenge
This exciting new competition has been created by the Commonwealth Resounds charity to encourage young people around the world to compose a short piece of music in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Prizes and rewards
Young people taking part will have the opportunity to gain cash prizes and high-profile performance opportunities, as well as composition advice and tuition from some of the finest professional composers in the world.
What kind of music can I write?
- Your piece must be written for at least one and no more than five performers and must last no more than 3 minutes.
- You can make a video to show with your music.
- You can use electronics in your composition.
Here are some ideas to help you get started. Your composition can:
- be a tribute to a volunteer or professional who is helping people affected by COVID-19.
- be for someone who has suffered from COVID-19.
- be your own personal creative response to the pandemic.
- include information about COVID-19
How to submit your composition
You should include either a notated or a graphic score of your piece, or a clear diagram. Commonwealth Resounds will share guidance on submitting compositions as soon as possible. Check their website for more information.
There will be three awards for young people entering this competition
- The Audience Vote
- Young Adjudicators’ Award
- Overall Award for The Commonwealth
Conditions for entry
- You should be aged between 11 and 18 years old on April 1 2020.
- You should live in one of the 53 Commonwealth Countries, including the UK.
- UK students who attend specialist music schools or junior departments at music conservatoires may not enter.
- Your parent/carer must let Commonwealth Resounds know that they are happy for you to enter this competition.
- All entries must be submitted to Commonwealth Resounds on or before Wednesday 1 July.
- Any material submitted (including videos and electronics) must be entirely your own work.
- Your composition should last no more than 3 minutes.
- Commonwealth Resounds will ask you and your parents for permission to share selected information about you if you are a winner in this competition.